Sunday, May 10, 2015

May 2015 Garden update

The butterfly garden is coming along. The Montauk daisy, peony and sedum are growing fast. These three were here when we bought the house 18 years ago.  One of the butterfly bushes looks good, the other two are not looking great. The crepe myrtle planted last fall shows no signs of life yet, but it may not until June.  I planted Allium bulbs in the fall, and they are spectacular!

May gardens

Compare this to last month!
Untitled    Spring butterfly garden

Front Garden - The bubble gum redbud was beautiful, but skinny. It looks like a single trunk, and I look forward to seeing it mature and spread out.

Bubble gum redbud in May


I continued to move daphodils and a friend gave me a bunch of daylilly's from his garden. I used his plants to fill in holes in my daylilly's patch then realized this probably wasn't a great idea since he may have a different variety than I do and it will look crazy and haphazard.  We shall see.

Hosta root planted in May


May gardens


Hosta/Azaela Garden - I planted a bunch of mail order hosta roots. I've never seen plants arrive in this format and they are now starting to pop up.




This Hosta/Azalea garden is new this year, mostly because I needed a place to transplant hosts and azaleas. I am trying to make the ivy fill in the gaps. I added the poccahantas lilac for some early spring color, and I really love it.

May gardens





























The new square foot garden is underway. I had a small 4x4 plot last year that got eaten by slugs, so we shall see how this one does.


I've had a blast building this trellis. I didn't have a blast digging the holes for the posts - after going at it with a post differ, I hit some roots and ended up renting an auger. Which became stuck and required us to dig a huge 4ft deep hole in the roots to remove it. Not fun.   The trellis still needs a top and some flowers in the pots. I can't wait until the Princess blooms - the Princess Diana clematis that is.May gardens

The front green garden will get some attention soon.  I'm not sure what is going in here, but it will be green or silver.

May gardens

No comments:

Post a Comment